Alpua Church stone
In Kirkkoniemi of Alpua, on the road leading to ski cabin, high up on a ridge top, stands a pulpit-like rock boulder. According to the tradition during the Great Northern war people have gathered for church services on this church stone. Even today, once a summer, rural church services will be held on this stone. Today, the area is protected.
HĂ€rkĂ€tori Market Square
HĂ€rkĂ€tori market square has developed over the years to be a place where people gather to spend their leisure time. In the summer many cultural happenings take place there. In winters this square fills with snow sculptures and in December the trees are decorated. The stage ‘Purje’ was constructed in 1996. HĂ€rkĂ€tori market square got a new look and the cafeteria building was finished in 2008.
IspinĂ€oja Nature Centre
Accommodation in the area. Group recreation days for companies and schools, ice fishing at Varalampi, fishing at RomuperĂ€ and bird hunting for groups (5 people).
Tel. +358 40 745 1397
Kastelli Castle Ruins
The Kastelli Castle Ruins is a stone circle in YlipĂ€Ă€, Pattijoki, and it is the biggest found stone circle in the Northern Ostrobothnia. This ancient relic locates on a hill called Linnakangas. The ruins consist of approximately twenty centimetres wide stones built into a rectangular wall. The Kastelli Castle Ruins are estimated to be even 5000-600 years old. Summer Cafe âRuusumuoriâ is open in the summer time.
Linnalantie 74, 92240 Lasikangas.
Lasikangas village home page
(web site available only in Finnish)
Kettukangas Machine Museum
Tel. +358 8 264 085
In summer open by advance arrangement. Versatile motor vehicles and other old engines are being displayed at the museum.
The Bridge of Pattijoki
The Bridge of Pattijoki was built in 1896 â 1897, and it was announced as a roadside museum piece in 1984. Before the stone bridge there were numerous wooden bridges on the spot. In the old days, the bridge connected the fortress Korsholma and the tar city Oulu.
Bird observation towers
Nature trails and hiking trails
From this map you will find information about skiing tracks, swimming beaches, and nature trails, and lean-tos, camp fire sites and bird watching towers along the trails and in the archipelago.
Additional information from these links, maps and pictures of the nature trails.
- Aittalahti nature trail
- Hummastinvaara trails
- Ison-Kraaseli nature trail
- Recrational area of LĂ€ntisranta
- Mikonkari nature trail
- PitkĂ€kari forest
- Varvi nature trail
- ViitajĂ€rvi nature trail
The Recreational area of LĂ€ntisranta
The areaâs nature and heritage trail, as well as Myllykoski rest stop call for hiking in varying forest, tradition and lake scenery. The six kilometre long, well-marked trail is suitable for all ages. The information boards tell about the nature and local history. The path is also ideal learning trail for children. Guidance can be arranged.
Area locates on the road 88, about 5 kilometres from Vihanti to the direction of Raahe.
LĂ€ntisranta village asscociation arranges guided tours.
Master-Heikki hut in Vihanti
A little original man, Master-Heikki, Heikki Kilpua-MyllymĂ€ki (1854-1934) from Ilveskorpi built himself a dwelling made of stone, because the previous housing, community building with its mill, was burned. He lived in his house in summers and spent winters strolling in the village houses.
Master-Heikkiâs stone hut is located in Ilveskorpi (Vihanti), next to the Korvenaho road near the school.
Tornitalo water tower
Tornitalo is the the highest building in Raahe and the highest residence in Northern Finland with the height of 44 metres. Visit the restaurant on top floor for Chinese food and breath taking view over Raahe, the archipelago and the Old Raahe.
Chinese restaurant Hai Long
Rantakatu 51, Raahe (13th floor)
Tel. +358 8 220 588
Open: Mon-Fri 11-22 and Sat-Sun 12-22
Pekkatori square is a pivotal part of the Old Raahe. This square, representing the closed corner square type and conforming to the ideals of Italian Renaissance, was included in the town plan designed by Gustaf Odenwall after Raahe burned down in 1810. Soon after the fire, several exceptionally unified business buildings representing the construction fashion of the 19th century were built around the square. The buildings have been preserved with meticulous care up to the present day. In the middle of the square there is a statue of Count Per Brahe, Queen Kristinaâs governor general, made by Walter Runeberg. The statue was erected in 1888 and has been looking towards the sea for over 120 years. Last year Pekkatori square was restored.
Statue of President Urho Kaleva Kekkonen
The statue revealed in August 2008 is sculptured by sculptor, painter Matti Peltokangas from Helsinki. Siika-PyhĂ€joki area association initiated a project to place the statue of President Urho Kaleva Kekkonen to the town of Raahe. The association wanted to emphasize Urho Kekkonenâs importance in the development of Siika-PyhĂ€joki area. President Kekkonen affected among other things that Rautaruukki steel factory was placed in Raahe. The large statue of President Urho Kaleva Kekkonen stands at honourable location, at Rantapuisto -park on the street Rantakatu, opposite the townâs most valuable agency building, the Town Hall.
Further information about the artist:
Matti Peltokangas home page
Town hall of Raahe
Customs collector Gustav Brunow build a great empire mansion on a plot which reached the Sovio bay. In 1862 Brunow’s estate sold the house to town of Raahe. Since then it has functioned as towns office. Currently the management of the town and administration service center staff work in the Town Hall.
Raahe wind farm
Raahe wind farm is owned by Suomen HyĂ¶tytuuli and it consists of nine 2,3 MW units with a total capacity of 20,7 MW. The wind farmâs annual electricity production is about 50 GWh. The first five turbines were erected in 2004 and the remaining four in 2010. The wind farm is located in Rautaruukki factory area, on the dam road leading to Kuljunniemi.
7 km south from Raahe, then 2 km on Mutala road (Mutalantie) to Kuljunniemi.
The ground floor of the observatory is a warm space where there is photo presentation, library, premises for demonstration purposes. The upper floor is dedicated for viewing the stars. Public can use the observatory on Sundays from 6 pm forward from September to April. Subject to weather.
How to get there:
TĂ€htitornintie 25, Raahe.
At Kiilukangas opposite to Raahe Motor Clubâs motorcross track. About 3,5 km from the highway no 8.
Inquiries: Erkki KrekilĂ€, Tel. +358 40 526 7311
The Old Raahe â wooden town part
The Old Raahe is one of the best preserved wooden towns in Finland. The old wooden town part is a unique example of the Finnish tradition of building towns of wood. The decision to preserve the Old Raahe took effect in 1977. Since then about hundred main buildings have been renovated. There are about 350 preserved buildings in Old Raahe.
Old Raahe is not an open-air museum but a living town part. It is an excellent example of the past millennium construction history
and the living conditions through the centuries up to the present day.
Reservable Wilderness Hut Hukka
Kangasaituuâs reservable wilderness hut, Hukka, and Bear -lean-to locate along the Piehinki river at LukkaroistenperĂ€ and it is suitable for day-time hiking as well as temporary overnight stays. There are no wells in the area, so drinking water must be brought along. Waste disposal operates on the principle âwhat you bring with you, you also take it back with youâ.
Karhulaavu – Karhu lean-to
– camp fire site
Inquiries: Kalevi Lahtinen, tel. +358 8 283 128, +358 44 5619 215
Vihanti Local History Centre
Located in the center of Vihanti, at the beach of KirkkojĂ€rvi, the local history centre is a unique and diverse cultural and recreational centre. Local History Centreâs main building is the library building Ukonkantti, which was designed by architectural firm Aito-aho & Viljanen. In Ukonkantti there is an auditorium, training and meeting rooms, as well as a museum exhibition. Other buildings transferred to the area are Ukko-Pekka, Hietalankantti, and Uhtuankantti, which all have excellent accommodation and banquet facilities, and MikkelĂ€nkantti. In addition, there is a windmill, grain granary from the year 1762, the model of Paleolithic dwelling, an information board telling the story of the rise of land in the area and prehistoric times as well as mine ore transport wagons, mine tracks and ore boulders received from the closed mine in Lampinsaari.
Vihanti area has been inhabited since the Stone Age. On the yard of Local History Centre there is a model of Paleolithic dwelling and an information board telling about prehistoric times. LĂ€ntisranta area has plenty of prehistoric settlements.
Open Mon-Fri 12-19
The museum showcases entities which present various sectors, including cobbler’s workshop.
Local History Museum
Open in the summer form Mid-summer until mid August Sundays 11-14, other times by advance arrangement. Exhibition of prehistoric artefacts.
Opening hours:Mon – Fri 10.00 – 16.00
Brahenkatu 10, FIN-92100 Raahe
Tel. +358 44 439 3240
matkailu (at) raahe.fi