Churches in Raahe

The Church of Raahe

The Church of Raahe, designed by architect Josef Stenbäck, was completed in 1912. The church is made of granite obtained from the islands and shores of Raahe. The altar piece, Awakening Hope, was painted by famous Finnish artist Eero Järnefelt in 1926.
On the map

The church serves visitors also as a Roadside Church.

Further information
Church registry office, tel. +358 8 213 2610


The Church of Saloinen

The present church of Saloinen, designed by the building engineer Juho Karvonen, was completed in 1932 after the fire of the predecessor. Some medieval pictures of saints and a Saint Cabinet from the 1400s were rescued from the fire of the old church. The artifacts are now being exhibited in the Saloinen church. The bell tower originates from 1783. The tower was designed during the ruling time of Swedish King Gustaf III.

The church serves visitors also as a Roadside Church.

Further information
Church registry office, tel. +358 8 213 2610


The Church of Pattijoki

The Pattijoki church was built in 1912. The church was designed by architect Josef Stenbäck. The gold plated wooden altar piece of the church, Crucifixion of Christ, is Tyrolian. The church´s front window is decorated with lead glass painting, Resurrection, by Finnish artist Matti Lampi.


Further information

Church registry office, tel. +358 8 213 2610


The Church of Vihanti

A wooden, cross-shaped church from 1784 has a prominent place in the centre of Vihanti. The present church is the second and built during Gustav III in 1784. The name of the church is the name of Kustaa III’s wife, Sofia Magdalena. The constructor was a famous church builder Simon SilvĂ©n-Jylkkä from Metsäkylä of Kalajoki. The current bell tower represents late Ostrobothnian renaissance and it has been in place during the first church. It was built in 1752.

On the map

Further information
Church registry office, tel. +358 8 213 2700


The Forest Church of Pattijoki

The Forest Church is built and owned by the Scout Unit Tervastuli of Pattijoki. The church is located within a peaceful forest surrounding, one kilometre away from the sea and three kilometres from the main high way. Before the church was built at the scout camping area there used to be two scout cottages. Construction of the church began in June 1995 by a group of local girl scouts called Salamanterit (The Salamanders). The church is is known as the Place of Fire, Water and Light. The Forrest Church is officially consecrated so there can be held all church ceremonies.

The church serves visitors also as a roadside church.

Aino Baas, tel. +358 44 203 0429


The Tsasouna of Vihanti

Tsasouna, an Orthodox chapel is located next to the cemetery. It was used for the first time in August of 1987 and was inaugurated in 1988.

Further information:

property manager Ulla Haukka +358 40 746 1524
Home page
On the map


Roadside Churches in Raahe area summer 2016

In the summer our body and soul need rest and recreation. The roadside churches are open for You offering breathing space and quietness. Roadside churches are always in the vicinity of traffic routes and they are signposted Tiekirkko or in Swedish speaking areas in Finland Vägkyrka.

1. Raahe Church
– 9.6. -17.8. every day 10 – 18
– Further information: Church registry office, tel. +358 8 213 2610

2. Saloinen Church
– open 16.6.-10.8. every day 10 – 18
– the coffee shop of the bell tower
– Further information: Church registry office, tel. +358 8 213 2610

3. Pattijoki Forest Church
– open 20.6.-10.8. every day 12 – 18
– Further information: Aino Baas, tel. +358 44 203 0429

4. Pattijoki Church
– is not a roadside church
– Further information: Church registry office, tel. +358 8 213 2610

5. Vihanti Church
– open 22.6.-10.8. Sunday-Friday 11 – 16
– Further information: Church registry office, tel. +358 8 213 2610

Roadside Churches around Raahe

1. Pyhäjoki Church
-open 16.6. – 15.8. every day 16 – 19

2. Revonlahti Church
-open 15.6.-17.8. 11 – 16
– Further information: Church registry office, tel. +358 8 213 2610

Further information:
http://www.tiekirkot.fi